Monday, August 13, 2012

Demonology 101

I love my son, I do. More than anything else on earth. He literally is the reason I do anything and everything. He is sweet, smart, happy, and seriously cute. He is by every definition a Mommas Boy and I couldnt be more thrilled about that. My husband recently went on an over night fishing trip and we had an ice cream date, and snuggled in bed watching Cars 2 until he fell asleep. He was even able to sleep in my bed and we cuddled most of the night. Those are the times I will truly miss when he is no longer an only. But its no new thing that I call him a demon. Because well, thats what you call something/someone that screams, throws things, hits, has been known to bite, and many other unfavorable behaviors. Normally this nickname is said in a joking manner. My little man tends to be very well behaved and very sweet. Until about 2wks ago that is. The terrible twos set in with a vengeance and are yet to be exorcised from him, they also show no signs of letting go. As I type he leaning against the couch and putting his feet up on the coffee table (something he knows not to do), screaming for his binky, watching The Smurfs and eating raisins all simultaneously. Oh look he just dumped out the ENTIRE container of raisins hitting his little twisty car track and taking it down with it. (Thankfully the living vacuums are there to the rescue). He has never been a good sleeper and it has been regularly getting worse. Minus the apparent growth spurt recently that had him sleeping all night with out one wake up, and sleeping in his bed with out an hr+ long fight. Fast forward to the 2min mark here and you get the basic idea! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243EWmazx8A How does one deal with such demonic activity on a daily basis one might question. Holy water and a crucifix does NOTHING for this problem. However I have very recently come to a big realization. One thing that truly helps and calms the demons is some simple one on one time. No t.v., no distractions, nothing. Just me and the little man and whatever simple activity we tend to be doing. Earlier today I found a way to clean our couches on pinterest and was doing that. He decided he wanted to clean too so I gave him a towel and he "helped". The entire time he was loving on me (some of my favorite moments of the day) and being actually very helpful. The moment my attention was taken off of him, however, BAM full demonic explosion and he was trying to get into several chemicals and screaming for strawberry milk. Finished said distraction and things returned to the happy sweet way they were before. I fear for #2 because when given the chance E likes to force sharing on him. Last night he was trying desperately to shove crackers into my belly button to share with baby O. He then wanted to share his cars with him and again tried to force them into my belly button. Obviously my belly button is direct access to the baby. As long as I sit there allowing him to try he is fine. If I for whatever reason try to tell him its not going to work he pushes harder and screams "No I share baby O". Again letting him try until he is done and feels he has shared enough usually keeps the demon at bay. There are times NONE of this (and then some) works and he does whatever he can to push every button you have and ensure you will become prematurely gray and drive you into what can only be hopefully called a humane old folks home. At those times I look at him and thank God I was blessed with such a strong willed little boy and pray that one day it will work in my favor and he will be strong and smart and know who he really is in his own person. And not turn to outside influences for these confirmations. I also pray that the word no is forgotten from his vocabulary and he also realizes that he is only 2 and CANNOT do everything on his own, and begins accepting help from his Momma again.:)

1 comment: